Carbon monoxide: 15 precautions We must have at home

 

No se deben usar las hornallas o el horno para calentar el ambiente.Do not use the stove or oven to heat the environment.

Two tragic cases put carbon monoxide in the sight. the journalist and model Lucia Trotz died this Saturday at dawn in Santa Rosa for inhaling while sleeping. Two days later, the wife and a son of radical Senator Luis Naidenoff were found dead.

Carbon monoxide is produced when the amount of oxygen is insufficient for the complete combustion of the artifacts. It can be generated by boilers, water heaters or calefones, stoves or kitchen burners, gas burning furnaces or kerosene, hearths or kitchen with firewood, salamanders, braziers and vehicles with engine on.

In a statement, the Ministry of Health of the Nation reported that they have a higher risk of poisoning young children, older adults, people with heart and/or lung disease, smokers and people living in high altitude areas . "The main danger of this type of poisoning is that in many cases the person is not aware of the symptoms, which can vary from one individual to another," they underline.

"It's highly dangerous," Metrogas alert on its website, and it remarks that carbon monoxide is not detectable through the senses: it lacks odor, taste and color, nor irritates the eyes, nor the nose. This toxic substance enters the body through respiration. It can cause headache, nausea, vomiting and fainting. It can even cause death.

How to prevent poisoning

Carbon monoxide poisoning is completely preventable. To be protected and to take care of our family, we have to have some precautions.

1. Calling Gas enrolled

gas installations and their maintenance must only be carried out by them.

2. Perform periodic reviews

Once a year, a gas registered must review all the artifacts: Calefones, thermotanks, gas stoves, salamanders, wooded hearths, boilers, stoves, heaters, lanterns, internal combustion engines in cars and motorcycles, braziers. You should also check the vents and gas pipes.

3. Ventilate the Environments

Have permanent ventilation in the environments in which gas appliances are installed. Ventilate the whole house once a day, even if it gets cold. Leave at least 10 centimeters open a window, both day and night.

La periodista y modelo Lucía Trotz murió por inhalación de monóxido de carbonJournalist and model Lucia Trotz died of carbon monoxide inhalation (Facebook)

4. Do not obstruct the conductors or ventilation grates

Check that the grates are clean, have outlet outdoors, and are not obstructed. Gas and chimney exhaust ducts must not be obstructed or disconnected.

5. Install Secure equipment

Only the devices approved by the institutes supported by the Enargas can be installed.

6. Check that the appliances are equipped with a safety valve

They must also be installed in a fixed way. Do not use rubber hoses, they are prohibited due to their danger.

7. Use only appliances with output to the outside

Do not use any type of stove or chimney that does not have an exhaust pipe.

8. Pay attention to the signals

Artifact stains may indicate the presence of carbon monoxide in the environment.

Fallecieron la esposa y uno de los dos hijos, de 16 años, del senador radicalThe wife and one of the two 16-year-old sons of the radical Senator Luis Naidenoff died.

9. In dorms and bathrooms, use only balanced-draught artifacts

never sleep with stoves on, except for those that are balanced-shot.

10. Avoid the use of braziers or stoves to kerosene

If the use cannot be avoided, turn it off before you sleep.

11. Check that the flame of the artifacts is always blue

If the flame of the stoves and burners is red, it means that there is a poor combustion. If it is yellow or orange, follow the caution. In these last cases (when it is not blue) you have to call a registered gas.

12. Never use stoves and/or kitchen oven to heat the house

Do not keep containers of water on the stove, kitchen or other heat source.

13. When turning on the car, check that the garage is ventilated

do not leave the vehicle with the engine turned on inside the garage, even if the door is open.

14. Generator sets should be placed outdoors

They should never be used indoors.

15. A carbon monoxide detector can be installed at home

They have audible and luminous alarms that warn about the presence of this toxic substance in the environment. If the alarm sounds, get out of the house immediately.

In the presence of symptoms, the centers of reference in our country are the hospital Posadas (0800-333-0160), the General Hospital of Acute (Cerviño 3356), the Hospital of Children Ricardo Gutiérrez (Gallo 1330) and the hospital of children Sor Maria Ludovica (street 14 N º 1631, La Plata).

Clarin.com

Source: CLARIN